How to air fry frozen asparagus. That’s a question that many air fryer owners have. But don’t worry. Not only it is possible to air fry frozen asparagus, it is also very simple and quick. I guarantee once you’ve tried you’ll start eating asparagus more often!
Let’s take a look at the SIMPLE steps you need to take to air fry frozen asparagus:
- First, preheat your air fryer to 200°C (400°F)
- Unpack the frozen asparagus and spread them on a paper towel to absorb extra wetness.
- Place the asparagus in a single layer in the air fryer (make sure they aren’t stacked on top of each other)
- Mist the asparagus with olive oil, salt, pepper, and other seasonings of your preference.
- In the air fryer, cook the asparagus for 10-12 minutes (make sure to shake the basket throughout the process to ensure an even cooking)
- Finally, when the asparagus look slightly browned and tender, remove them from the basket and place them on the serving dish.
There you go! Your delicious, nutrition-packed, air-fried asparagus is ready to serve.
P.S: Try this recipe with different types of seasoning each time to uncover unique tastes and find your favorite combinations.
How long should you cook frozen asparagus in the Air Fryer?
We’ve already mentioned 10 to 12 minutes is the recommended cooking time. However, the answer may vary depending on several factors, which include:
- Whether you preheat your air fryer or not.
- If you unfreeze the asparagus before cooking them or not.
- The size of the asparagus (particularly its thickness).
Moving on, if you leave the asparagus in the air fryer longer than the recommended time, it’ll get overcooked or, in the worst-case scenario, burned, resulting in a mushy texture.
On the other hand, removing the asparagus too early from the air fryer will cause it to be undercooked, less brown, less tender, and very fibrous.
Therefore, it’s essential to monitor the whole cooking process to ensure that the asparagus is getting cooked evenly.
If you are still unsure whether your asparagus are ready or not, you can always use a fork or even a pair of tongs to test the texture and adjust the cooking time based on that.
Seems like a lot, but it’s actually super simple, trust me!
Tips to Cook Frozen Asparagus in the Air Fryer
Asparagus is a seasonal food, and fresh asparagus are only available during the spring. However, as asparagus are high in nutritional value, we should aim to consume then all year round. And that’s exactly why everyone loves that they also come frozen!
Here are some tips for cooking frozen Asparagus in the air fryer:
- Preheat the air fryer to 400F/200C for at least 5 minutes. It will help to ensure the food starts cooking as soon as you put your portion on the fryer.
- Season your asparagus before cooking them, not after. Except for a couple of exceptions, see below.
- If you use garlic for the season, use it at the end; otherwise, the garlic will burn, resulting in a bitter taste.
- You can season your asparagus with parmesan cheese if you want an “Italian” flavor. But remember to only add the cheese during the final two minutes of cooking; otherwise, it will burn.
- Defrost them before cooking if you have the time.
- Cut your asparagus to fit the basket properly; you don’t want them bending around.
- Don’t use excessive herbs or spices; they will cover the original taste of asparagus.
- Use vegetable oil, coconut oil, canola oil, olive oil, or something similar to make them crispier.
- You can use aluminum foil paper in the air fryer to help the spices stay mixed with the food.
- Flip your frozen asparagus evenly to ensure proper cook in a short slot of time.
- Store your cooked asparagus in an airtight container if you plan to eat them within three days.
The bottom line is cooking frozen Asparagus in the air fryer is a quick and easy way to enjoy this nutrient riched vegetable. Follow the tips stated above and enjoy your perfectly cooked and delicious Asparagus using an air fryer each time.
Five ways to use your Asparagus
Asparagus is a healthy green vegetable low in calories and a good source of vitamins and minerals, such as A, C, E, and K, as well as iron, folate, and fiber. And that’s not even the BEST part! Asparagus is also high in antioxidants and may have anti-inflammatory properties.
Now that you know how to air fry your asparagus, let’s look at some ideas for enjoying this nutritious veggie in our meals.
Simple Air-fried Asparagus
With a touch of olive oil, salt, and pepper, flip and put the asparagus in the air fryer and twist at 400°F for 8-10 minutes; shake the casket mid through cooking.
Parmesan roasted Asparagus
After the following step, Use rubbed Parmesan cheese to moisten the asparagus. And keep it back in the air fryer for 2-3 minutes til the cheese is turned slightly browned and dissipated.
Fold asparagus with a bacon slice and lock it with a toothpick. Fry it at 400°F for 10-12 minutes in the air fryer until the bacon and asparagus are crispy and breakable.
Garlic Butter Asparagus
In a small bowl, make a fusion with butter, minced garlic, salt, and pepper. Roll the frozen asparagus in the garlic butter and set it in the air fryer basket. Mix at 400°F for 8-10 minutes till it turns slightly brown.
Wrap the asparagus in a fusion of panko breadcrumbs, grated Parmesan cheese, and garlic powder. Cook at 400°F for 10-12 minutes in the air fryer until it gets brownish and crispy.
And… these are just a few ideas of the many ways you can prepare asparagus in the air fryer. Of course, you can always get creative with your seasonings and experiment while adding different flavors until you find your next favorite asparagus dish!
Summing up things with…
Air-frying frozen asparagus is a delicious and healthy way to enjoy this nutrient and antioxidant-rich vegetable. Follow the tips stated above and produce perfectly cooked and appetizing asparagus each time.
If you’re looking for a quick and nutrient riched side dish or snack, DEFINITELY give air-frying frozen asparagus a try!